Under my Umburella, ella ella ella, eh!
Posted by Gemini on April 25, 2008
Yeah, the news title is a reference to Rihanna’s Umbrella. I had to celebrate somehow with a crappy title… Celebrating what? Today the project global completion percentage reached 55%! Does that mean we are making fast progress? Yes and no. That number comes out from a mathematical average of all various completion percentages (you can find them in the project page), so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, let’s go for the real body of the news.
First of all, I’ve got something to post about nitpicks and editing notes. In the last weeks we received many comments about how things should be translated or corrected, but none of those was taken in consideration because 1) dialogues were a rough draft (well, it’s not really that rough after all) from almost a year ago, and 2) everything will be ironed out by an English major when the translation is done. This means we will not correct any of the previous errors for now and will concentrate on having the script done as soon as possible (the translation has been in the works for almost 2 years), then we will start looking for all typos and whatever problems the translation might suffer. Our top priority for now is to get both script and hacking done; fancy stuff will join the games later. This means all useless nitpicks (i.e. bitching) will be deleted without notice and ignored, so please don’t even bother posting them.
Back to some visual progress! Fusion spell names and descriptions finalized:
Fusion spell list should be 100% final now, unless Tom has any suggestion on the matter. As for descriptions, 99% are imported from EP, while the remaining 1% are IS exclusive strings. You can actually see only 3/7 of those description since those are the only available. The other 4 belong to spells called Dark Grand Cross, Hellish Flower Blossom, Wheel of Fortune, and Wheel of Time, which are probably dummied out magic or something. I can’t remember any boss or monster using them, but both Wheel of Time and Wheel of Fortune appear in EP as boss-specific spells, at least from what their descriptions say. Even trying to use them as standard spells doesn’t produce any effect except for instant victory, winning pose, and no money/experience earned from that battle.
On the description matter matter, all previous groups of descriptions I’ve posted about should be complete and finalized. Now I’m only missing Event Item descriptions, but I can’t recycle them from EP like I did with everything else – I need Tom to work on them, but they shouldn’t take him too much. Oh, I also need all the rumors in Kuzunoha done so that menu translation will be complete, but Tom is probably doing things in a certain order, ergo he will do dialogues first and then paste them into rumor menu strings.
Demon contact, part 2:
- The first one uses some kind of contact stats for each of the characters, which is all generated in real time assembling a big string containing everything. The older version was completely bugged, with the panel printing only garbage text. That’s one of the many problems the new text format triggered. :/ The thing is working almost completely, but there’s still one problem with the Lv indicator: it’s not printing the numeric value correctly. The problem is similar to the quantity counters for treasure chests and shop variable prizes, so it shouldn’t be too hard to fix.
- The second screen is triggered when more characters are used to contact a demon. There isn’t really anything particular for this, except for the text being compressed and indexed in a weird way that is probably making the game lock with some particular demons in Seven Sisters High dungeon. Currently, this is the only issue that can cause the game to crash in battle, so once this is done battles will be 100% playable.
Battle dialogues re-worked:
Finally I can show you some brand new pieces of dialogues. Tom has done 4 out of 50 battle dumps, so battles aren’t using Oracle of Maiya’s script anymore. He is also working on world map and NPC dialogues, and that’s probably what I’m gonna show you in the next update with an in-game footage or something.